Brown Bread Baking Competition 2022 –
National Brown Bread Competition 2022
Following numerous conversations and enquiries from members around the Federations we are delighted to announce that the NATIONAL BROWN BREAD COMPETITION was officially launched on 20th June 2022. The competition will take place ‘in person’ this year.
The NATIONAL BROWN BREAD COMPETITION is a partnership between the National Ploughing Association and the ICA and is sponsored by Aldi Ireland. A prize fund of over €15,000 for the winner and generous vouchers and hampers for the runners up, all provided by and sponsored by Aldi. The winner’s brown bread will be stocked in all 150 ALDI stores nationwide.
In conjunction with Aldi, and the National Ploughing Association, ICA’s National P.R.O Maureen Mc Laughlin and myself have been successful in securing two ICA finalists this year; so ladies it’s time to get baking! It would be wonderful to have an ICA winner of the National Competition. In order for that to be possible I am asking you all to promote this within your Federations and Guilds across the country and ‘GET BAKING’!
A reminder that when ICA Federations have held their heat, the names of the winner and runner up (as a reserve) MUST be sent to Central Office firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 18th July at 5:00 pm. The Federation winners will be required to bring their bread to the ICA Final in An Grianán on Friday 12th August. Details to follow.
I am also asking each Federation to ensure that this event is well publicised in their own locality, take lots of pictures at your Federation events and email to Rebecca in Central Office email@example.com
Any queries or support required with this, please contact our National P.R.O Maureen Mc Laughlin on 087 655 78 58 or Central Office 01 6680002.
ICA finalist last year was Louie Taylor (Donegal) a great achievement in the midst of Covid.
This year, the ICA FINALS of the competition will take place on Friday 12th August 2022 in An Grianán. I am also pleased to inform you that a great day of hospitality will be provided for the FEDERATION FINALISTS attending the ICA final.
I hope I will see 27 beautiful loaves of brown bread with every Federation represented on the 12th August.
This is a very prestigious competition with which we are proud to be associated. Please give it your best endeavour and promote our great ICA organisation on the local and national stage.
Details of ingredients allowed can be found on the Aldi website under FAQs https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/OYUc0vw2lw@whfwq49CaPKNkbFI.pdf
Rules of the Brown Bread Competition 2022:
1. Each competitor will produce a home baked brown bread. A 2 lb loaf tin must be used. Ingredients that are allowed are listed below. Competitors must use ingredients purchased from ALDI. Any ingredients not available for purchase in ALDI must be listed and presented in non-branded containers. Competitors may bring their own baking tin should they reach the Finals.
2. Competitors must be over the age of 18 years on 1st January 2022.
3. Professional chefs are excluded from competing.
4. Competitors please note that at the National Finals, competitors will be obliged to use the ingredients supplied by ALDI on the day. Any ingredients not available in ALDI must be listed and presented in non- branded containers.
5. Each finalist will be required to submit their final recipe before the National Finals to ensure all ingredients can be used by our production bakery of choice. Competitors must be available on the days of the competition – On the 20th – 22nd September 2022.
Directors, management and employees (and the immediate families of directors, management and employees) of the Promotor or the agencies or companies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter. Previous National Winners are excluded from taking part.
Please note the judge’s decisions in all competitions shall be final and binding on all competitors and the fact of entering shall be deemed an acceptance of this rule.
The NATIONAL final will be held at the National Ploughing Championships in Ratheniska. Co. Laois on the 20th – 22nd September 2022 and successful entrants must be prepared to take part in the National Finals. Finalists will bake their bread in front of Judges.
Please note: This is an open competition and members of the public can find entry details and further information here: https://www.aldi.ie/brown-bread-competition
Hilda Roche National President and Maureen Mc Laughlin National P.R.O.